Friday, November 16, 2012

Jewelry Cleaner

 Found this recipe and have been wanting to try it.  Think I found it on Pinterest.  I do a lot of surfing on Pinterest - lots of good ideas.  Oh, it does say that the recipe is from wire-sculpture.com.

Like the person that posted it, I also couldn't believe how dirty my watch band and jewelry were.  You'll have to try it.  Here are also some before and after pictures.

Ingredients:  (we all have these on hand)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon dish detergent (I used Dawn)
1 cup water
1 piece aluminum foil

Directions:
1.  Heat water in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes    (I did 2)
2.  Cut a piece of aluminum foil that roughly covers the bottom of a small bowl (cereal bowl)
3.  Pour hot water into the bowl.  Place salt, soda and dishwashing liquid into bowl.  Place jewelry in so it sits on top of the foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.  (I used an old tooth brush and did around the stones of my rings and on the watch band).  Rinse jewelry in cool water and dry jewelry completely with soft cloth.  Discard solution after use and make a new batch next time.
4.  According to wire-sculpture.com, "this works well for gold-filled, brass, german (nickel) silver, and sterling silver.  I have even cleaned jewelry with freshwater pearls, shell cameos and mother of pearl with no problem.".

Before pictures:

 
Look how they all shine!!!!  My rings cleaned up so nice and I held my watch band into the water and used the tooth brush on that and it came out beautiful.  That was really dirty! 
So go ahead and clean your jewelry!!!
 
I also cleaned out my jewelry box and sorted some items to donate to the school.  We have a program where the elementary school give the kids paper money to shop for Christmas presents for their family members.  There are donated items for this shopping spree, and I have some new jewelry I've never worn that is going.  Also some good stuffed animals, etc.  This is an annual event at our elementary school and is so exciting for the kids.  Do you have something like this in your area?
 
Have a great Friday!  Jo
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They really cleaned up nicely. I'm going to try this...simple and easy! Thanks for the share. Have a great weekend!
Hugs

Muffy's Marks said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try it!!!

Country Whispers said...

I can't wait to try the jewelry cleaner.
Our elem. schools used to do something similar and yes the kids would getting really excited to buy presents for their parents, grandparents and siblings.

Business said...

All over the globe there are loads of jewelry stores but talking particularly about United States of America even there also countless number of brands has marketed their position strong establishing enough satisfaction among citizens of almost its each state...
Jewelry Cleaner | Make your Jewelry Clean