Saturday, January 15, 2011

Paper Whites!

Just before Christmas I got a Paper White narcissus bulb and loved it.  It grew so fast, the white flower pedals were so delicate and pretty; and I bragged about how much I loved it to daughter Leah.  Then came the smell!  The smell that stirred up an allergy reaction for me.  Steve couldn't even stand the smell, so we had to remove the cute little pot from the kitchen table and put it in the back room we call our back door entryway.  There is a ledge where the downstairs steps are on the other side.  This is where I put plants after they bloom, etc. etc. 

Then for Christmas I opened a package up, and it was a bigger flower pot and four nice sized Paper White bulbs from Leah.  She felt bad that the smell bothered me, but she didn't find that out until after she had already bought the bulbs.  But that is okey.  I still love the flowers, it's just the smell that gets to me after they're in full bloom, for about a week!  Just like lilies - that smell is even worse. 

These are growing so tall that one tipped over so I had to tie a ribbon around them.  There are still several other blooms to open up.  Doesn't it look nice and "springy".  After they're done, I'll save the bulbs and replant them outside.  We'll see if they will keep going, or just rot away.  I know a lot of these bulbs aren't meant to last, but we'll try.


Just having these blooming, makes me want to get into the garden.  I plan to do better this year with my flowers than I did last year.  Had so many "irons in the fire" that my garden didn't get the attention it deserved.  I don't get the seed catalogs anymore, so that is probably a good thing.  They are fun to go through and dream.  I like to spend my money locally, so I never ordered anything, so that is why I don't get them any more.

A cold, but sunny day here today.  Have a great weekend friends.  jo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty but the fragrance "close up" bothers me too. I hope you have a restful night and a great Sunday.

Unknown said...

Awwww..they do say Spring, don't they? The smell doesn't bother me and I rather enjoy it.

I hope you have a great weekend!!

Lynda said...

Those are gorgeous and such a delicate beauty in the midst of this harsh winter weather. Thanks for sharing your gift!

Leah said...

They have grown - I am curious to see how they do when planted outside....

Far Side of Fifty said...

beautiful..I don't like the smell either. They are forced bulbs..which means they have been pre cooled..usually they do not do much but rot in the ground after you replant them..but give it a whirl:)