Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Old, but New for Someone!

Our daughter in Louisiana has mentioned that she wants to replace her glass dinning table with a wood one.  She has long admired my 5 legged table, and I found a 5 legged table for her!  We are driving to see them in September, and it fits in our SUV, so south it will be traveling.I am in the process of cleaning and polishing it all up. 
It measures 42" x 36" and there are three 12" leaves for it.  I had stopped at an antique shop and the owner refinishes furniture.  He said all I should do with this is use Howards  on it to clean and polish it up.  I also got 2 chairs for the kids, but they'll have to find other chairs down there.  I'm sure there are a lot of antique or used stores there too.  The antique store owner said an eighty year old fellow brought this table in, and said it had been his mothers table; so it is well over 100 years old.  I'm sure he hated to part with it, but a young family will enjoy it for many years.  
Here's the two chairs I bought.  They need a little cleaning too!  Very well built.
Here's my table: You have to excuse my sewing stuff on it, but I wanted to show you the legs.  I love them!  The sewing stuff on the table are the bean bags I'm making for my brother in law.  Sorry the picture is a little dark.
Here is the sunset almost done, as I was feeding Odda and putting her in her kennel tonight.
The sky looks like you had taken a brush and painted it.  Click on it to see it larger, and it looks like a painting! 
The evening is almost over, so I'll wish you a good day tomorrow!

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like it too..and those chairs look great. I am sure that Jess will love it! Pretty sunset! :)

Anonymous said...

Both tables are real treasures. The sky photo is just beautiful, Jo. Have a great day.
Mrs. M. Lane

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sunset picture!!
Phyl P.

Sharon said...

Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you have a nice trip to NE. You will be about 2 1/2 hrs east of me.
Hubs and I are going to SD over Labor Day weekend.
Your sunset does look like it has been painted. We have been having some beautiful sunsets here lately also.
I have my grandma table and it is well over 100 yrs also. I have it in storage right now but I have been thinking about selling it.
Have a great day.

Sybil said...

I do love the table and I am sur eit will be much appreciated..what a wonderful sky that was. Over here we have a saying..don't know if you have the same one...Red at night shepards delight red in the morning shepards warning...It is funny how often it works as well.
love Sybil x

Lynda said...

That sunset is prettier than any painting I have ever seen!
Beautiful, beautiful table, too. I am so glad you found it and it will continue to be loved for many, many more years.