Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do you Collect?

This red and orange rooster greets us every morning.   He is on the counter next to the coffee pot.  I don't remember where I got him.  Rather unusual isn't he?  One of my favorites.  I haven't found any others like this. If I did, I'd be sure to buy other colors!

These are the rest of the hens on nests that are on my side table on the wall across from the counter.  Another favorite is the blue one below.  I keep my watches inside this one, as I always have to take my watch off to wash dishes (I don't have an automatic dish washer).
I love to stop at antique shops whenever I'm on the road, and I bought many of these  when our youngest daughter was in college in Iowa.  I'd drive the 7 hour trip by myself to see her play volleyball and for the music concerts she was in.  From Minneapolis/St.Paul, I'd take Hwy 52 south through Rochester, and several little towns.  One very favorite little town is Harmony and there are several good shops there to stop at.  This is an Amish area also.  Just writing about this makes me want to go back.  It's been 9 years since I've been down that stretch of highway!

Posted by Picasa 
This picture also has some little swans.  I had 4 of them, but made a pin cushion out of the pink one.  Turned out really cute.  That sold right away.  I also have some of the miniature nesting hens too.  The one shop in Harmony was the only place I found the miniatures.  I have quite a few more roosters in my kitchen.  Years ago, it was apples, and many years ago it was pigs!  I do like to change things up a bit!  I've had the roosters and hens since we remodeled the kitchen.  Oh, that was at least 10 years ago.  Youngest was away in college then, and she graduated in  2001!   My how time flies by.

9 comments:

Cyndi said...

Oh, I love collecting old stuff! I have a great collection of antique bluebird china which I just absolutely love....that's where the name for my little sewing business and my blog came from. My grandma had a rooster dish like the first one on your post except it was green. So they probably made other colors, too!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like all your roosters..they fit in and look so good in your kitchen! :)

Darcie said...

How fun. There are a lot of fun lovin' rooster ladies our there. You might want to go check out this blog(barbsgoodlife.blogspot.com)she has what is called a Rooster Party and people in blogland post about all their roosters.

Betty W said...

Yes, time does fly! I sometimes think of starting a collection, but can´t decide of what, so I just leave it. :) For now....

Leah said...

I love your first rooster! wonder where you found him? It is fun to have a collection to hunt for.....

Buttercup said...

Love to collect and just look at antique/collectible stores. I've got some glass I like and my favorite collection is my snow glove collection, which I have a lot of fun with. Love your roosters.

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time blog friend of Connie and have read all about Odda and Hooch before. It's so nice to visit your blog today. The title of your post on Connie's sidebar caught my attention. I love your rooster collection and the fact that you keep your watch in the one. Growing up my mom kept a little Italian pottery basket on a shelf in the kitchen specifically to keep her watch in while washing dishes!!! I still have the dish - which was a wedding gift to my parents in 1947 from my great grandmother. Through the years, I have collected many more dishes of the same pattern with little hand molded roses. I sure have enjoyed seeing your collection and being reminded of the watch in the dish memory.

Shelley said...

You have such a wonderful collection of roosters and hens! And that first rooster is great - unusual and has a lot of character! I've been collecting tea pots lately, I may have to hit some antique stores.

~Tonya said...

Oh yes how time sure does fly! Where did April go? I love your rooster collection. I have a few roosters, but they are wood, primitive looking and look like they are carved. They are pretty neat.

I suppose you could say I have several collections, but quite a few and not as large - each collection is no as large as your collection. Make sense? Probably not, I re-read this and I know what I mean LOL

I am the dishwasher, so I know what you mean. Not unless I go out, do I wear my watch and rings and then as soon as I get home, off they go. Don't know why, but they do.

Have a great day and a Beautiful Mother's Day.
~Tonya